Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Scathing Critique of 1960's Doper Music.

I'm very weary of this bizarre resurgence of psychedelic '60's music that's come about in past years. With 15 year old girls wearing Pink Floyd t-shirts and 17 year old boys searching out similar garb, but of a more bizarre nature my suspicions, and my, perhaps too critical eye have been aroused. It should be said now that I've never participated in a "sit in" and I don't do drugs. I never really did.

But to make no bones about my disdain for "doper music" we really need to cut to the core of it: a mild case of OCD. I'm pretty particular about certain relatively stupid things. I don't have to drive around my block 3 times before I can drive out any further or anything, but I have particulars. One of them is a fairly impatient streak. That directly conflicts with a large majority of psychedelic music. I have no interest whatsoever in listening to some spacey hour and 20 minute Pink Floyd epic that not even Syd Barrett could decipher after coming down.

Now before you really get going, let me say that my disinterest in Floyd & company is not proof that I am "the problem and not the solution". I'd like to point out that is simply not the case. I don't eat meat and just because I don't want to get stoned doesn't mean I'm a pawn of the system. Fun fact: There's Fluoride in our public drinking water. Fluoride is a substance that was used in Nazi mind control experiments. See, I'm fighting the power.

Which leads me to my next point: The aforementioned "fighting the power" or the "establishment" as it were. What, if anything did these hippy bands contribute to such endeavors? Sit in's didn't solve anything, and in the case of "sharing and giving", a popular hippy/stoner mantra, what did these gents "give" anyway?

Sorry there aren't any photos this time. Next post for sure.

1 comment:

The Kibster said...

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!!